Proverbs 31:27

Friday, October 19, 2007

What do you have to show for your time?

As you know, I've picked up knitting again. As I went to a zillion sites, I really, really wanted to have already done what these women have done. I want to be able to knit so quickly that I can turn out something for my family when it's needed. I was even starting to complain (gasp!) and ask God why all these women have time (whether with or without children) and I didn't. I knew I did, but my time seemed to be allotted to mainly child rearing, cooking, cleaning and laundry and blessing my husband. Then the Lord showed me how much time I spent online. Good reading, encouragement, inspiring time, but I had NOTHING to show for it. I was using the "when I get my work done or need to sit and nurse, then I'll go online" excuse. I do well, but I yet had nothing to show for my time. I was reminded of a story my mom told me about a woman who had a friend visit her once a week and they would show each other the progress of their handwork. One visit, the younger woman told the other that she took the week off...she wanted to catch up on her reading. The older (and wiser) woman pointed out that the younger had nothing to show for her time and remanded her with:


"And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;
That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing." I Thess. 4:11-12

(Yes, I did rearrange that story, but that's probably the best way for me to remember it!) So, the moral of the story, well, you can decide for yourself how it may apply to you. I will be knitting for a while...what will you be doing??

***There is no substitute for reading the Word of God!! Do take the time to read and refresh your soul!!

"But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness." I Tim. 4:7

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi BellaMama:
I would like to see what you have made but your pictures are not coming up. Just a little square with a red x in the middle.
Hope you can put them up.

Bless you, ^__^