Proverbs 31:27

Monday, July 7, 2008

Bread Making


I have Bosch Universal Mixer and an Ultramill Grain Mill. These are two of my best investments, even over a dishwasher. This is how I handle my bread making days (I will exclude the multitasking of making breakfast and caring for children).

Put Organic Red Wheat Berries in Grain Mill. Set in bedroom, turn on, come out, shut door. When pitch goes high (when no wheat is left to grind), open door, turn off, come out & shut door.

*all this is done so the effects of high decibel sound does not do damage to any of us.

Ok, so you see it's easy...fresh wheat is more desireable for all it's nutrients are intact for approx. 24 hours. You'll see and taste the difference!!

+Get out bosch, put in yeast, honey & warm water.
+Let yeast "burst"
+Add salt, oil and wheat (and other ingredients like oats, millet, nuts, etc.)
=add flour a few cups at a time, not all at once
+Knead with machine for about 3 minutes.
+Put into oil covered big bowl to let rise til almost falling out of pan (can take as little as 20 mins.)
+Punch down and let rise again
+Punch down and form into loaves & put in oiled ("Pam" can be used) loaf pans to let rise for no more than 25 mins
+Put in oven for 25-30 mins (depending on your oven) at 350 F.
+Take out & let cool before taking out of pans to cool the rest of the way before freezing or eating with honey!

So, it seems like a bit of work, but once you do this, it is so very easy & gratifies the body's cravings for good-for-you foods!!

Here's my recipe (It's what my mama taught me long, long ago)

4 TBLS Yeast
1.5 TBLS Salt
1/2 Cup Oil (Olive)
12-13 Cups Flour (8 cups wheat berries)
1/2 Cup Honey (I put in 1 to 1.5 cups to make the bread sweeter)
5 Cups Warm Water



That's the basic recipe for 4 loaves of bread. Also, I use Stainless Steel Breadpans.

I hope you are able to make bread & enjoy it! (Pay attention to your oven temperatures when cooking with honey. The bread will be darker in color than white flour and look almost burnt. There's a fine line between looking burnt and being burnt.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

fabulous! I, too, have a Bosche mixer and I love it! The bread smells great :) Keep up the good work, BellaMama.

"Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness." Psalm 107:8-9

Be Encouraged!

Elise said...

Mmm, that sounds so good. I'll have to try it out this weekend.

The Greathouse Family said...

Hi! I just wanted to say that I love reading your blog! I think that you lead a very wholesome life that I find so interesting! Do you do any canning?

runningtothecross said...

That sounds just like my recipe!!! Although I use my WhisperMill and Prairie Gold or Golden 86 wheat kernels...last time we bought wheat we purchase 250 pounds worth!

However, someday I hope to get a Bosch mixer...my Kitchen Aide only does 2 1/2 loaves a pop....not good when your children can eat two loaves of bread in one sitting!

Blessings!
Heather