Proverbs 31:27

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mmm...PIZZA!


I forget how much we enjoy eating pizza. I finally found a way to make it that has a whole lot more protein! I make the crust out of Naan Bread and roll it thin, sauce, toppings, bake and EAT!

I know that it is contrary to my heritage and being this close to Chicago, but I really like the thin crust NEW YORK style crust/pizza!

This pic is from the other time I made it. You can make personal size, medium, or one panfull size. This recipe makes enough for our family (of 8-well, 7 eating) for 2 meals!

Ok. This is the simple way, here it is all laid out:

Naan Bread
3 cups of flour (whole wheat)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp honey
2 TBSP oil
4 TBSP Yogurt
3/4 cup warm water

Mix dry, then add wet, and lastly yogurt. Let rest for about 20 mins. Then I roll it and patch it onto a pizza pan (a cookie sheet works too)

Sauce
1 can (32 oz) tomato concentrate (it's the walmart brand and ONLY has tomato pulp-no salt!)
1 TBLS salt (still using Real Salt)
2 TBLS oregano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/3 large onion
1/2 head (several cloves) garlic

Toppings

*I cook hamburger with salt and onions-use what I need and freeze the rest for next time I make pizza...helps alot
-also cooking the onions with the hamburger, flavors it differently than if I put them as a topping. When I've added onions as a topping, my pizzas always came out watery!
*sliced black olives
*grated mozzarella cheese -I do this

These are the topping we like, keeping away from my favourite of pepperoni which have nitrites and other oddities. I had headaches for years when I ate white flour crusts and pepperoni!

Throw together and cook in oven at 400F degrees for about 12 minutes. Lower temp, cook longer and get a crisper crust.

I have made a cornmeal crust and mixed beans and meat and added the cheese and olives and it was like a mex-pizza!!

Enjoying the cooler weather. It's between 62-65 degrees now, except for the next few days of being in the upper 60's and barely into the 70's! Wonderful cooking weather and even better to sit in the sun outside while the children play and (what else?) KNIT!

Need to go make bread, wake babies and prepare to go outside again!! (change the laundry, too)
Ciao for now!

3 comments:

Elise said...

What have you tried/not tried on your pizzas? I eat A LOT of ground turkey (turkey tacos are a FAV of mine, Christian's and my roommate)and just wondering if you have tried this or even chicken- I often find that turkey is too dry (burgers especially). One of my favorite things to do is to put whole slices of mozzarella instead of shredded; have you tried this or fresh mozzarella (like buffaloe mozzarella)?

BellaMama said...

There are some on my side of the family that like pineapple and cream cheese. I tried it - won't be doing that ever again! LOL
I remember having turkey during the beginning of the low-fat fads (since it was even cheaper than hamburger as well as having less fat). It IS drier and I'd rather have turkey for Thanksgiving, nice and juicy!!
Haven't had chicken for a couple of years now. With 1/2 of a cow in the freezer (as roasts and hamburger), you don't buy much other meat!
I used to use slices of mozz, but I use less cheese when I use shredded and it still covers it and tastes like it has cheese.
As much as is possible we mix the hamburger meat with a mix of beans for tacos, it tastes more like the "bell" tacos.
Ok, this is making me VERY hungry!!
Need to make my grocery list and plan the meals...hope this answered your questions, 'cause I'm going to eat!

Elise said...

Haha! Sorry to make you so hungry! I like pineapple, but not with cream cheese...

Speaking of Thanksgiving what is your favorite turkey recipe? I am making Thanksgiving for Christian this year since he doesn't have the day after off :( and I am in the process of compiling recipes for yummy turkey.