Proverbs 31:27

Friday, April 10, 2009

Menu Plans


I haven't listed my menu in a long time. Though I keep it from having certain days posted, I have the flexibility to change the meal depending what's in the cupboard. So far for this week I have these meals, not counting leftovers. I am also waiting to see what dh brings home from the store. He does an awesome j0b & it's always exciting to see if he brings home "extra" ingredients! He goes to the grocery store (saves time with just him-he makes the decision & there is never an ill spent cent) about every week and a half to two weeks. This makes it possible to save money on gas, since the store is far, and he's able to go to the hardware store all in one trip.


~Chili

~Noodle soup (watching Kung Fu Panda will make you need noodles!)

~Lentils & Wild Rice

~Grilled Cheese & Tuna

~Broccoli Soup


Meals always are for 2 times if not more except for things like grilled cheese, that usually accompanies leftovers or is a semi-snack.


I must say that Lentils & Rice is something that the Lord showed me to make. I use the Lundberg rice which is a mix of brown/wild rices. I throw the rice, lentils, water, salt and butter in the pan, bring to boil, cook at simmer for 50 mins & let it rest for about 10. I just revisited this site and found out that lentils and rice is a depression era food, as in this recipe. I am amazed that God gives wisdom to anyone at anytime - makes cookbooks pretty useless here!! Speaking of The Best Chef giving me His recipes, I also made a delicious Creamy Broccoli Soup today. Once again, 3 1lb bags of frozen broccoli, cover with water & bring to boil and cook til soft. Blend with a stick blender (don't splash it into your face-it kinda hurts) add one stick of butter, 1 TBSP of salt, a dash of pepper, at least 1 cup of milk and then the super secret sauce...oh, yeah, here you go: 1.5 cups of white sauce, or alfredo, or secret sauce:


1 stick butter melted into pan, add 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour and 1 tsp of salt with a dash of white pepper. Cook til bubbly then add 3 cups of milk. Bring to a boil, without burning the bottom of the pan. In another pan (or the same pan before you start the sauce) saute 6 cloves (1/3 to 1/2 head) of garlic, 1/4 cup diced onions, salt and pepper in butter. Cook until clear to golden. Blend with stick blender add to white sauce.


This is not for this meal, but you can pour it over veggies/noodles with this wonderful sauce:


1 can tomato sauce (I use the walmart brand-least amount of ookies)

6 garlic cloves

1/4 cup diced onions

1/4 tsp dried basil

1 tsp salt

pepper to taste (or just a dash)

1/2 can (small) refried beans ~* surprise! (or 1 part beans to 3 parts sauce)


This is great as a dip as well & it gives you added protein.


I just finished a pumpkin pie bread muffin cake thing. It is already 2/3rds gone. Having these yummy, nutritious and warm meals when it's still very chilly out is a wonderful way to get pleasant smiles and mmmmmmmms all around!


What else. Since I've lost another 1-2 inches this week (log is put away right now), but weight is not quite falling off, I've been restructuring my workout. Also, it's been so chilly or rainy or just pbbblt outside, walking has become almost non-existant (except for 3 days ago when it was so pleasant & sunny & I was able to take my 30 laps!!) I need to find my weights - I have 5 & 10 lbs free weights, hubby has a bench but it is down in the construction zone. I found youtube instructional videos (the pictures are inappropriate & I don't want to send people there) that explain how to workout more efficiently. A incredibly qualified (schools et al) trainer that explains things a bit like Teresa Tapp, but shows the benefits of using weights-or strength training. You know, the whole principle of gaining muscle which will in turn burn fat or use more energy therefore you lose weight. Another don't-need-to-look-at-the-scale-to-be-in-shape people!!

Psst...I can do 10 regular push-ups now followed by 10 more "girlie" push-ups!! Wooohooo!!

Anyway, what I've gathered is that I need to use my weights, workout only one of the Push/Pull/Legs workouts rather than something like: arms/chest one day then back the next...if you are paying attention to what you workout, then it is unnecessary to overwork the same muscles. Also that I need to raise my metabolism by doing small sets throughout the day, for when your body is at rest it is burning fat. While you sit, eat, sleep, and all, you are losing weight-not when you are working out-most of the time!


So, I'm gonna be improving my weight training and warm up to stretch and I will finally drop this extra flabbie! I've had a hard time getting my workout in this past week. Babies up late, overworking during the day so that I crash at night-basically never taking a rest time. All these things as well as the cold and cloudy weather took its toll on me. Since I don't have my regular trainer (dh) I have to be my own. I quit (in process) the "Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans". I never needed a crutch before, and have been sorely disappointed in this group. Maybe it should better be named the "Sisterhood of the Shrinking"; a complete thought (gerund modifying/describing subject) that doesn't suggest the opposite of what I think their purpose is . Oh well, not everyone will live up to my high expectations! Speaking of high expectations: I found these old links to Teresa Tapp describing her workouts.

Part 1 & Part 2. It's nice to review & remember why I did these workouts in the first place. Here's the Hoedown. (This does not nullify the fact that I will use weights/strength train)


Okie dokie, having a lighter school schedule. Only one lesson per day rather than two. Spending a little more time with setting up a tiny bit of chores, but really it should be called responsibilities.

#1 is putting away dishes (she's started washing bowls/plates when they are needed), switching the laundry.

#2 is making beds (mainly the little girls & mine-since everyone likes to sit on it)

#3 is cleaning the playroom

#4 gets the laundry out of the dryer with

#5 helping #4


They all help with picking up in general and the boys (#2 & #3) are pleased to trade off setting the table for meals. I am continually amazed at how they teach each other and care for each other. #3 has proven he can read...same as big brother, at the age of 4. Taking out the computer has also been a huge sucess! They are better behaved, kinder to each other (dearly so), quick to come when called, willing to acheive whatever task is set before them! Well worth all the effort-though I coulda saved myself alot of my own trouble by being consistent a long time ago! It's not the scheduling, routine or specific curriculum or ways, but doing the same thing with the same set of rules-always. It's really something you learn on your own, for you are your own family.

Alright. That's the news from Lake Woebegone...ummm, I mean here, where the woman is strong, the man is good looking and all the children are above average!! Goodnight folks.

2 comments:

chrisCgirl said...

Mmmmmm. Lentils and rice are so yummy together! You are making me hungry. We also really enjoy that Lundberg rice blend...I especially like it cooked in chicken stock. Thanks for the menu idea!

Blessings to you!

bunches of yarn said...

Your closing line made me laugh.
Thanks.
Congrats on achieving perfect children. I'll try your method, and hopefully will have good results. (mwa, ha, ha)

Glad to hear they are all helping one another and you.
^__^